|Become a Foster Parent
Sierra Vista Child & Family Services is a highly respected, culturally sensitive, non-profit agency. Our Foster/ Adopt Program has services available to meet the needs of children who are looking for a permanent family. Many of these children have been abused and neglected. Sierra Vista can provide you with the tools and training to become a certified Foster/Adopt Parent. Our Foster/Adopt Program is your opportunity to open your heart and home to a child needing the loving care of a family.
Parenting is no easy task. That's why we will be there to help you every step of the way. You will soon see the rewards of helping the child placed in your care. By working together as a team, we can create an environment where children can heal the wounds of abuse and abandonment and learn to trust again. We can create an environment where you, the foster/adoptive parent, can experience the rewards of growing as a parent and watching a child learn how to accept and give back love and respect.
Special events during the year will provide recognition and support for foster families. Holiday parties, picnics and our annual banquet are all events to be shared by staff and families.
What are the certification requirements for Foster/Adopt Parents?
- You must be over 21 years of age to become a certified Foster/Adopt Parent.
- You must have an income that is adequate to support your household.
- You must be in reasonably good health.
- You do not need to be married.
- You do not need to live in or own a house.
- You must have a room for the child. No more than two children per room are allowed.
- You must pass a fingerprint/background check and your home will be evaluated.
- You must complete on-going Foster/Adopt Parenting Training and attend monthly support groups.
What qualities are needed to be a Foster/Adopt Parent?
- Parenting skills that include fairness, good communication skills and patience.
- Willingness to work as part of a treatment team and the ability to implement a treatment plan.
- A family structure that can be flexible enough to adjust to a child with special needs.
- Willingness to learn about parenting and family from the child's perspective.
How can we help you achieve success as a Foster/Adopt Parent?
- We provide 24-hour on-call social work services.
- Training will begin before a child is placed in your home and will be on going.
- Through support groups you will have the opportunity to learn form other foster families as well as from our professional staff.
- You will receive monthly payment for room and board, clothing and personal needs of your foster child.
How will we help the foster child in your home?
- Weekly contacts by social work staff; 24-hour on-call social work staff
- Individual counseling
- Family reunification counseling
- Full psychiatric assessment and contact with our child psychiatrist as needed
- Full psychological assessment as needed
- Independent Living Skills Program for children 16 and older
- Coordination of educational, medical and therapeutic needs
- Individual Treatment Plan to meet the needs of children in reunification or long-term foster care
Foster Family & Adoption Services
101 Park Avenue
Modesto, CA 95354